Each week we try to bring you a few tips to shine some light on some of the benefits that come with the improvement of your property’s landscaping. This week we’ll talk about some of the advantages of planting trees, shrubs and flowers on your property. Not only can these projects add beauty and curb appeal to your property, there are also some ways that they enhance the efficiency and improve the environment.
Planting trees on your property can add some great value to your home. Trees help reduce cooling costs. They help to break winds and also can provide a habitat and food for local wildlife.
The Arbor Day Foundation provides some statistics that may surprise you:
- The net cooling effect of a young, healthy tree is equivalent to ten room-size air conditioners operating 20 hours a day. U.S. Department of Agriculture
- If you plant a tree today on the west side of your home, in 5 years your energy bills should be 3% less. In 15 years the savings will be nearly 12%. Dr. E. Greg McPherson, Center for Urban Forest Research
- A mature tree can often have an appraised value of between $1,000 and $10,000. Council of Tree and Landscape Appraisers
- In one study, 83% of realtors believe that mature trees have a ‘strong or moderate impact’ on the salability of homes listed for under $150,000; on homes over $250,000, this perception increases to 98%. Arbor National Mortgage & American Forests
- Landscaping, especially with trees, can increase property values as much as 20 percent. Management Information Services/ICMA
- Trees properly placed around buildings can reduce air conditioning needs by 30 percent and can save 20–50 percent in energy used for heating. USDA Forest Service
- The planting of trees means improved water quality, resulting in less runoff and erosion. This allows more recharging of the ground water supply. Wooded areas help prevent the transport of sediment and chemicals into streams. USDA Forest Service
As you can see there are many benefits of planting trees on your property. TKC has established itself as an expert tree installation and planting service provider here in the Hudson Valley. We have a great knowledge of local tree species including which trees can thrive and add the most benefits to you the homeowner.
Planting Shrubs and Bushes
As with trees, shrubs and bushes can also have great benefits to your property. They carry some of the similar impacts of trees.
- Adding strategically placed shrubs around Air Conditioner units can help keep them cool and improve their efficiency.
- Bushes and shrubs can provide privacy from neighbors and busy roadways
- Shrubs stop strong winds and help to dampen sound
- Bushes and Shrubs also help to maintain healthy ground composition which can help with water recuperation and prevent errosion.
TKC can help you decide where to place bushes, what species will perform best for your needs and ultimately provide the best end results for you.
TKC Landscaping offers a variety of services to help improve the quality of your home. Please contact us today for a free quote.
Serving Orange County New York and all of the Hudson Valley